On September 29th we released our report on the Top Ten Eco-Schools in the USA. NWF’s Eco-Schools, USA program has recruited thousands of U.S. schools to participate in a comprehensive effort to green their buildings, grounds and instructional experience. The thousands of U.S. schools enrolled in the program are part of an international network of 50,000 schools in 59 nations. NWF was selected in 2009 to be the U.S. host and program operator.
The NWF Eco-Schools USA Top Ten List includes:
- Academy for Global Citizenship (Chicago, IL)
- Alder Ave Middle School (Egg Harbor Township, NJ)
- Brooklyn New School (PS 146 New York, NY)
- Centreville Elementary School, VA)
- Earth’s Magnet School (Newbury Park, CA)
- Eisenhower High School (Goddard, KS)
- Green Tech Academy at Clint Small Middle School (Austin, TX)
- Heritage Elementary School (Highland Ranch, CO)
- J.C. Parks Elementary School (Indian Head, MD)
- Jitta Bug Learning Center (North Miami, FL)
In addition to our press statement, you might enjoy seeing the profiles of these schools which have been successful in implementing sustainable practices and in weaving nature and outdoor learning time into their instructional programming.
Each of these schools has earned the prestigious Eco-Schools Green Flag award – a global recognition. NWF Eco-Schools USA also has had the great honor of being able to co-certify and develop partnerships with green school programs in Kansas, Maryland, Oregon and other locations. In Kansas, we also coordinate with the Project Learning Tree Green Schools program. Some 90% of the participants are public schools and 50% of the particpating students are from diverse racial and cultural backgrounds.
Here is our nationwide map to identify Eco-Schools near you.
I hope you will join us in congratulating these amazing schools.
Kevin J. Coyle, JD:
Vice President, Education and Training
National Wildlife Federation
NWF Eco-Schools USA (@EcoSchoolsUSA)
So excited to honor America's Top 10 Eco-Schools! pic.twitter.com/7NPpOBbEV7